Monday, July 22, 2024

Elevator Picture Hall of Fame 2024 – Volume 2

 


The Hall of Fame posts are typically some of the more popular blogs in the Colley blog history. We get to see a lot of elevators during the year during our initial visit for pricing or during engineering for projects.  Of the hundreds of elevators, and thousands of pictures, these are some of the gems I've seen from this past year.

 


Lucky Dime – When I was younger, there was a cartoon on called Duck Tales which was about Scrooge Mc Duck and his nephew's adventures.  Uncle Scrooge had his lucky dime; this interlock had its lucky penny.

 




Old Balls – I have a friend in the elevator business who I call Old Balls. He is pretty old (20 days older than me) and I'm sure he doesn't like the name.  These pictures remind me of him.  There is a lot going on in here and a pump I may have only seen once before this picture.  I hope to see Old Balls at the upcoming NAEC Convention.  

 


Super Hero Caught – I think the reason we like super heroes is because we all think they're special and have magical powers.  If you're a Marvel, or DC, or whatever else (I don’t acknowledge because I was an early 1990’s comic fan and that other stuff is for the birds), super heroes are an integral part of your life.  We caught this valve with his cape and mask on trying to be something everyone did/does/should do; try and live out your super hero dream.  Can an inspector please write up these buildings?

 


Should Know/Should Learn – Everyone has a "thing", one of my "things" is over-lubricated cables from these lubricating devices.  It drives me bananas when I see grease all over the cables.  If we go to buildings on a regular basis, we should know to take off the lubricator. We should also know how to put them on.  They wick. You don’t bury the felt on the cables.  If you don’t know what wick means, look it up or go to this link.

 https://www.elevatorbooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/EW0615.pdf



Side Hustle
– Some of us are doing elevators as a job.  Since it is just a job, and not a career or a passion, we have other things in our lives we try to explore.  We stumbled on this resident mechanic's passion when walking into the machine room.  Follow your dreams!!!  But if you are going to follow them, do a great job with the elevator. Otherwise another contractor may walk in on them because the elevator is having issues.

 


Lord Of The Rings – I didn’t catch this at first glance.  Not sure what to think of this one other than maybe the project team didn’t want Schmegal to get his hands on this ring?

 



Periodic Maintenance
– I know there are alarms you can put in pits that would prevent this situation.  But…  If we are going to buildings on a regular basis, we would catch these situations quickly.  I would imagine the OEMS will make it a code item to have a water alarm in all elevator pits so they don’t need to visit buildings. That way Oscar, or Revit, or whatever the name of their predictive modeling system is that counts irregularities in noises or voltages can write the maintenance ticket [these predictive modeling devices are taking your labor hours away].  So far there is no code for water sensors in pits so you should still make your elevator contractor come to the building and actually look at your elevator. You may find someone that is important.  Watson, eat my shorts!  Building owners - pay for and demand someone actually coming to your building. 

 


Hanging with Mr. Cooper – I think this show was on after a show I actually watched on Friday night TV in the early 90s late 80s.  Come on man!  Just 'cause someone else did it, doesn’t mean you have to leave it.  This elevator had “maintenance” on the elevator on a regular basis.


Cleaning Up
– Whenever we have people over we [when I say we, I mean my wife] "clean up". This means we take all of our mess and throw it in a different room.  It could be bills we have to pay, important documents, whatever, if it is on the counter, it is going in the room that is a mess.  One day I will clean up that room.

If you have any questions or would like additional information feel free to contact me at CraigZ@colleyelevator.com or 630-766-7230 ext. 107.

Also check us out on Instagram @Colleyelevator see what we have been up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment