Saturday, November 5, 2022

Chicago Elevator Association – November Meeting

 


The Chicago Elevator Association is the longest running elevator association in the United States as featured in Elevator World a few years back.  I remember the first CEA meeting I went to back in 2002, I believe I brought my brother[who wasn’t in the industry but I didn’t know anyone so I brought him], at the time Colley wasn’t very active in the association. I went to my first meeting and saw giants of the industry and I knew just showing up and listening I would learn from these people.

My dad, Ray Zomchek, used to go semi frequently when it was held at the Comeback Inn with people from Automatic Elevator, Gregory Elevator, Anderson Elevator, Reliance, Commercial, Urban Elevator, Mid States, CJ Anderson, Donnelly & Associates, Adams Elevator, Quality Elevator, Peelle and the list goes on of all the independent companies who had people with strong personalities and knew everything.  If I could have been a fly on the wall of those rooms… I don’t know the history as well as our elder statesmen do but we have a rich history with the CEA with some elevator industry legends that changed the way elevators are today with their contributions to our industry.

Thursday Hyperion came to the CEA for our November meeting held at Angelos – Elmhurst, IL and learned a lot about their consolidation efforts. Lisa Grimes and Dan Shaw from Hyperion where present to talk about their new company.

Hyperion is EECO, EMI/Porta, Lift Net, McIntosh Industries, Texacone, Titan Machine, Torin Drive, Vator Accessories & ZZipco. 

The presentation was great and I learned a lot about what I had been hearing about, but, the best part of the meeting was I got to see old friends and industry legends.  We had 2 people at our table that if you combine their years in the business they have over 100 years of elevator experience.  The discussions you get to hear and participate in about elevator code, industry changes, safety, etc will not occur on walk throughs, zoom calls or client meetings.  Going to the CEA will make you a better elevator person, food is great, people are great and you are going to learn something from a more laid back atmosphere and candid discussion.  Back in 2002 when I went to my first meeting I knew everything, in 2022 I understand I have a lot to learn, part of my learning comes from going to these meetings and participating.

If you haven’t ever been or it’s been a while, come on by, take a seat, if you don’t know people, 5 minutes after you show up you will know a good amount of people at the meeting, that is the kind of people that go, ones that will make you feel welcome and will introduce you to people.  

Congratulations to Colley’s own Alex Macias for being elected to Vice President of the CEA during the November meeting!

Next event – December 7th, 2023 – Holiday Party – Navy Pier Chicago – Sports Museum.

If you have any questions or would like additional information feel free to contact me at CraigZ@colleyelevator.com or 630-766-7230 ext. 107.

Also check us out on Instagram @Colleyelevator see what we have been up to.


No comments:

Post a Comment