Sunday, December 16, 2018

Elevator equipment failure – exceeding life expectancy


EWe spend a lot of time talking to some building owners about how long their equipment will last and when it should be replaced.  Unfortunately some building owners do not get this information from their contractors, do not pay attention or their current contractor does not let them know about the longevity of their existing equipment.

When we have a problem building it typically runs in a cycle.

-       Significant issue/event that effects reliability
o   Elevator down time 1-2 days
o   Resolution
o   Clean run time of 3 to 4 months
-       Significant issue/event
o   Elevator down time 2-3 days
o   Resolution
o   Clean run time of 2 to 3 months
-       Significant issue/event
o   Elevator down time 4-5 days
o   Resolution
o   Clean run time of 1 to 2 months

I hope you see a pattern.  We begin seeing the earmarks of a control system breaking down and our resolution time being longer than the previous times and our duration of clean run time is less in between.  Catch the pattern early enough so you do not put your building in a precarious position.

If your elevator system is beginning to show a pattern that includes your time between significant failures is decreasing and your clean run time is decreasing.  You are past the discovery stage of planning and should be taking action to replace the equipment.

[This equipment is 22 years old but not supported by OEM]

How long should my elevator equipment last? – Todays elevator equipment should give you good operation for 15-20 years depending on environment & usage.   If your equipment is reaching or past 15-20 years have your elevator contract let you know their thoughts on how long it should last and what are the expections on reliability.

[Fewer and fewer people know how to fix controllers like these]

What if I don’t like what my elevator contractor is telling me? – I have many conversations with building owners that do not like being told they need to plan for equipment replacement.  I can speak from the company I work for.  We do not want to spend 3 days trying to repair your elevator either.  If you don’t like what you are hearing from your current elevator contractor get a second opinion or find someone who has the domain knowledge on obsolete Westinghouse equipment that uses tooth picks and crazy glue to keep the elevator running.  But! Be aware of your obligation as a building owner to be responsible and accountable for the conveyance users safety.

[Finger prints here tell me there has been a problem before]


How long does it take to get replacement equipment?  I’m glad you asked.  Everything elevator related typically takes 4-8 weeks for engineering and delivery.  This is not like the hot water heater you can pick up from Home Depot the same day.  Planning is very important.  Be responsible, plan ahead.

If you have any questions or would like additional information feel free to contact me at CraigZ@colleyelevator.com or 630-766-7230 ext. 107.

Also check us out on Instagram @Colleyelevator see what we have been up to.

2 comments:

  1. I want to share with you all here on how I get my loan from Mr Benjamin who help me with loan of 400,000.00 Euro to improve my business, It was easy and swift when i apply for the loan when things was getting rough with my business Mr Benjamin grant me loan without delay. here is Mr Benjamin email/whatsapp contact: +1 989-394-3740, lfdsloans@outlook.com / 

    ReplyDelete